Saturday, January 06, 2007

Changes ....

Well I knew it was coming. My live in job officially ends on Thursday Jan. 11th. I am, however, able to stay in the house for a few months so the whole homeless thing isn't happening right away (yay).

I've decided to take the rest of January after that to enjoy ONLY working 1 full time job (my other day job) before looking for either something to suppliment it or something entirely different. I'll also have to decide if I can afford to take the chance of applying for a mortgage and buying a house (I'd have to move to an even smaller town than the one I'm in right now to be able to afford something) or waste my money renting. (rents are almost equal to mortgages right now but there's the added expenses of taxes and higher utilities when you're buying).

Cross your fingers for me!

7 comments:

Sasha White said...

If you can swing it, I say buy for sure. Renting these days is hard. If you want to move to my city, my building is gonna need a building manager soon. :) Rent is cheep when your the building manager. LOL

Michelle said...

Erin, babe,

I think taking a little time to 'enjoy' is a good thing. When it comes to rent vs buy, I suggest looking at all the options. Buying in the long run is best, of course, but it's not always easy.

I know you'll find your answers and whatever you decide I wish you the best and you know, I'm here if you need any help along the way.

Michelle

Dakota Cassidy said...

I say buy too. It's scary, but so worth it :)

DC :)

Lori said...

Good luck, Erin. Enjoy the short time off from job # 2. Buying is very scary (writing that huge down payment check is torture!), but knowing that you have something that is all yours is comforting. Of course, when domething breaks, you also have to fix it, LOL.

You'll do the right thing for you.

Michelle B said...

Best of luck, Erin! I hope things out for you whichever way you decide to go:)

Anonymous said...

Erin,

You really need to look at the pros/ cons of renting vs. buying... Right now, it may make more sense to rent. The housing market is going down, so you'd be buying high and essentially losing equity for the time being. You could rent for the short term, save a little more money and then buy when housing stops the correction... feel free to talk to me more if you'd like..

lpsy

Overwhelmed! said...

I'm with Sasha, if you can swing it, it's best to buy!

Good luck with your move, wherever it may be.