Monday, July 30, 2007

5.6 MILLION Dollars!!!

That's how much money was raised by people participating in Calgary's Weekend to End Breast Cancer! $5,600,000.oo!!!

I've learned that ...

* People are amazing if you give them the chance to be.

*Swoobs are icky. (sweaty boobs) If you're not careful you can get friction blisters in bad places (my bra band was my enemy by the end of day 2) *snort* OUCH

*Yes, I really can take just one more step when it seems like I can't.

*Hills are not my friend.

*Yes I can hurt that much.

*Yes it was all worth it.

*I'm crazy enough to think of signing up for next years walk. (I'm just thinking right now though LOL) If I don't do the walk I want to be one of the crew volunteers.

*This was one of the most amazing experiences. Everyone should do this or something like this at least once in their life time.

I'll let the pictures talk. Ask any questions you want, I'll be happy to answer!



Don't I look like I'm ready to take onthe world? OY! lol The guy I'm with is truly amazing. By the end of the summer he will have walked in every Weekend to End Breast Cancer walk in Canada. Chad, my thoughts are with you. You're a new hero of mine now!





We're on our way! Just leaving the Calgary Round Up Centre at Stampede Park! The volunteers were amazing. They are the best cheerleaders EVER!





Boobs on Bikes! *g* They kept us safe. Stopping traffic for us and keeping our spirits up. Don't they look great?






People in the neighbourhoods came out to cheer. Even their dog's participated *g* By the end of the walk we loved all the cheerers ... the ones who sprayed us with water or had ice for us really kept us going 'til we got to our next pit stop! The pit stops were where we bandaged blisters, re-filled with water or gatoraid, got snacky stuff, stretched out muscles and went to the bathroom (OMG the line ups!). The people who worked/volunteered at these were amazing.



The end of the first 35 kilometres is in sight!





The people with The Weekend to End Breast Cancer took very good care of us. These are medical tents. There were nurses, paramedics, physiotherapists, chiropractors (Dr. Dean saved my body from freezing into a ball of pain), and massage therapists. There were only so many (they were all volunteers) so we had to sign up. I was lucky enough to get time for a massage too! There was a band playing after supper and some of us were even crazy enough to dance after walking 35 km! (it did help I think, to keep our muscles from tightening up too much.)





Day 2!!! I think I just might be able to do this :)







The woman in the picture below kept me going. She was an amazing cheerleader. We've stopped here to listed to the Calgary Police band who played for the walkers as they arrived at lunch. I got split up from Cathy at lunch and finished the rest of the day on my own/with other groups (usually as they were passing me *g* OH MY GOD I was tired). Thanks Cathy for giving me the energy to make it to lunch!






I DID IT!!

15 comments:

Cafe Cats said...

YaY Erin! Awesome accomplishment, hon!

Anonymous said...

Erin, you did it! I'm so proud of you, of everyone who participated. What an incredible feat (err, feet? *g*). I'm sure you're exhausted but exhilirated.

Congratulations!

Laurie D. said...

Erin,
I'm so very proud of you and everyone else who walked - makes me teary just looking at your pics! My daughter and I always participate in the breast cancer walk that her college sponsors during their "Mom's Weekend" every spring - we only cover 5K though, nothing like your walk.
Bless you, sweetie-
Laurie

Erin the Innocent said...

Everything helps though Laurie! It's an amazing thing to do.

Unknown said...

WooHoo, I am so proud of you, Erin. What a magnificence photo journal of your journey.

Lori said...

Erin, that is just fantastic! You should be so proud of yourself for setting that goal and ACCOMPLISHING IT! WTG! Now kick those feet up and take a well deserved rest!

Unknown said...

Congratulations Erin,

I knew you could do it :)

Maura Anderson said...

CONGRATULATIONS, Erin!

I knew you could do it!

You're my new hero!!!!

Actually, my new heroine :)

Dakota Cassidy said...

You
RAWK, my sistah!

WTG, darlin'!

DC :)

N.J.Walters said...

That is such an incredible acomplishment, Erin.

Congratulations. You're amazing!

Mechele Armstrong said...

I knew you could do it. I know I don't know you very well, but I'm so proud.

It's an awesome thing you did. Makes me teary thinking about the whole thing and all the people giving. My aunt is a breast cancer survivor.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the walk - a fantastic personal achievement and a great way to make a difference in people's lives.
Great to hear the crew made a difference. I was one of them - with a water sprayer in hand while the walkers were coming in.
You were our heros, especially in the heat and we just wanted to cool you down, make sure noone ended up with heat stroke and most of all give you a good time.
I happened upon your blog and you made my day.
Rest, stretch and be proud of yourself.
Kate

Erin the Innocent said...

Thank you Kate :) You and the rest of the Crew were life savers!

Jennifer B. said...

Awesome job Erin! Congrats!

Unknown said...

wowsa!! as a female who aunt died of breat cancer, thank you!