Tuesday, September 25, 2007

I finished an unbelievable book last night


I can't even remember why I bought it. I'm sure sooner or later I would have looked for it in the library (it was an expensive book for my budget - $17 - worth every penny), but I saw someone blog about Broken by Megan Hart somewhere. I was intrigued enough to not want to wait until I could find it at the library.

Under the title Broken, in fine print it says "an erotic novel". It is so much more than just an erotic novel. It's a shame that many people will see those three words and shy away from reading it.

From the back cover
"THIS MONTH MY NAME IS MARY. My name is different every month - Brandy, Honey, Amy ... Sometimes Joe doesn't even bother to ask - but he never fails to arouse me with his body, his mouth, his touch, no matter what I'm called or where he picks me up. The sex is always amazing, always leaves me itching for more in those long weeks until I see him again.

My real name is Sadie, and once a month over lunch Joe tells me about his latest conquest. But what Joe doesn't know is that, in my mind, I'm the star of every X-rated one-night stand he has revealed to me, or that I'm practically obsessed with our imaginary sex life. I know it's wrong. I know my husband wouldn't understand. But I can't stop. Not yet."


You know, even from the back cover I probably wouldn't have normally paid this much for a book from a relatively unfamiliar (to me) author. The cover art is sexy, but no so sexy that I would feel uncomfortable reading the book in public (if that makes sense).

The book was so much more than what the back cover led me to believe. It touched me on a number of levels. Enough for me to still be thinking of it hours after I finished it, and to not want to start another book quite yet, because I don't want to let this story leave my mind. The story was incredibly written. The sex scenes were very hot (hence the word erotic under the title). The story though is what grabbed a hold of me. I felt emotionally involved with the characters. At one point I was going 'Oh my god nooooo' because I could sense stuff that was going to happen.

Simply said - the story touched me. I can only hope that the rest of Ms. Hart's stories are as incredible as this one. I may have found another auto buy (and keeper shelf) author. You can find more about Megan Hart here. You can buy Broken here.

4 comments:

Anne said...

So glad you had such a great read! YAY! And I agree, this IS an incredible book. I read it and loved it and savored it as well. It's quite hard to move on from such a remarkable book. Have you read Dirty? Amazing as well. After reading Dirty and Broken, Megan Hart is now an auto-buy author for me, and the books? Keepers for me as well, Erin. She's a phenomenal author.

AuthorM said...

Erin, thanks for emailing me to tell me you'd blogged about Broken. I'm so glad you liked it! I appreciate you reading it and letting me know about it.

Anne...I hope you say the same after reading Tempted...

EEEK!

M

Sam said...

I think the title is interesting, and the cover intriguing. I'll have to look into it! Thanks for the head's up!

LesleyW said...

I've read Dirty and loved it. Currently have Broken on my TBR pile. I think Megan Hart is a cut above most erotic authors out there. She just makes you so involved with the characters.